Monday, June 29, 2015

Not In Our Own Strength

I remember my first Women's bible study at Grace Brethren Church. It was titled "John, The Beloved Disciple" by Beth Moore.  It was the fall of 2011, and I fell in love with Jesus during that season.  He was in the process of wooing me and my heart was ripe for the picking.

Although it was almost four years ago, two things still stand out as if it were yesterday.  The first being we were asked to write a letter to Jesus, telling Him our heart's desire.  I for one speak to Jesus all the time, but when I had to write Him a letter as if He were going to actually read it, that deeply touched me and my Spirit completely took over. 

In my flesh, I thought I would express to Him about the type of "things" I wanted in my future husband. However, the pen began a journey of its own, expressing the things deep within my vulnerable heart that I openly revealed to my Lord and My Lover.  I truly wanted more of Jesus.  I wanted only the things that He wanted for me and I wanted only to draw nearer to Him with each passing day.  I wanted to please Him with my life and I wanted to let Him know that He was indeed my heart's desire.

The other thing that I discovered...now this is going to sound strange, but I'm serious:  I discovered that being in control was an absolute illusion.  That truth completely burst my bubble and my way of thinking.  Being in control was my "claim to fame: and in my mind, it was the only thing that I did right!

So not the case as far as Jesus was concerned.  In order for me to trust Him and to have true intimacy, I had to be willing to let go and Let God.  That was not only [laugh out loud] funny but it was oh so freeing! #John 8:36 "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."

Now seriously, who wouldn't want that?!

I write this particular post because there are many things occurring not only in my family, but in our society and in our Nation that has our flesh in a state of panic.  So many people are wrapped up in the things of this world and loosing sight of who is #STILL in control.  #HEBREWS 13:8 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." (NIV)

I know that Satan is the enemy of our souls, and the Prince of the earth, but he does not know our thoughts and he has no power over those that belong to Christ JESUS!  #John 10:29 "My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand." (ESV)

We are struggling and failing miserably because we will not relinquish control to the ONLY ONE who CAN!  Jesus wants to bear our burdens in exchange for rest and in exchange for peace.  #Psalm 55:22 "Give your burdens to the LORD, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall." (NLT)

He wants you and I to live in a state of contentment, trusting that He will meet every need, no matter how small and no matter how ginormous.  We are hamsters on a wheel trying to do it all in our own strength and that only leads to not only major disappointments, but major health concerns: diabetes, strokes, heart attacks, depression and anxiety, just to name a few.

#Matthew 6:27 "And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?" (ESV)

#Philippians 4:12 "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." (NIV)

We are operating on autopilot and we don't even have to.  #Matthew 11:30 "For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light." (NLT)

We are busy trying to tackle so many of life's issues without the guidance of the Holy Spirit and without wise counsel.  #John 16:7 "Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you." (ESV)

We can find that "thing" our heart desire's most when we GIVE it to the Lord.  #Psalm 37:4 "Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart." (KJV)

When we mediate on His truths and precepts and actually believe what we have read about Him and who we are according to His word, we will discover that no matter what our circumstances say and look like, we already have the #victory!

#Romans 8:37 "...No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." (NIV)

We are so loved by Him that nothing will ever separate us:  Not even our failures!!!
#Romans 8:3;8 "And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow--not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love." (NLT)

Thank you Father that in my own strength, I simply cannot.  BUT with You, I can do all things. #Philippians 4:13 "I can do all this through him who gives me strength." (NIV)

Yet, another day to praise Him...