Sunday, June 21, 2015

What Do You Expect?

I recently read a devotion from "Our Daily Bread" and it made an interesting reference a person's expectations.  I expect certain things and I, even (sad to say) had and still have feelings of entitlement.  Lord, Jesus, after reading that devotion last night, help me to see that I only have a right to ...

(pause: a little white butterfly just fluttered by my window)

But like I was saying, I only have a right to stand firm in my faith and proclaim that Jesus is Lord.  He is the only way to eternal life.  John 14:6 Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." (NLT)

Truly, I'm not entitled to anything here on earth and as selfish as it may sound, I actually thought quite the opposite.

When I read that excerpt about how if we were to lower our expectations, we wouldn't be as hurt, disappointed or shocked for that matter, when they are not met.  In fact, some of us get down right pissed when others fail to met them.  That really got me to thinking about my own expectations.  Big and small; the ones that I held so tightly to in the past and the ones that I still hold today.  Some, I'm not so proud of and some you may not agree with. 

So here are some of the things I expected. Note: I was unaware that I was expecting them until years later.  Actually, His #gift of Salvation brought so much clarity about the things that I expected and believed that it still amazes me that GOD chose me. :-)

Expectation - "A belief that someone will or should achieve something."
I expected people to be on time.
I expected people to save their money.
I expected people to be neat and organized.
I expected my children to behave.
I expected family to get along.
I expected people to apologize.
I expected people to be polite.
I expected promises to be kept.
I expected good customer service.
I expected people to tell the truth.
I expected men to lead the household.
I expected fathers to be fathers to their children.
I expected someone to mean it when they said that they loved me.
I expected my marriage to last.

#That's just to name a few.  No judgment please

And today:

Expectation - "A strong belief that something will happen or be the case in the future."
I expect everyone to come to the realization that Jesus is Lord.
I expect everyone to see that GOD is good.
I expect everyone to feel His love for them.
I expect others to share what He's given them.
I expect people to walk away from intentional sin.
I expect people to apologize.
I expect people to help the hungry and the homeless.
I expect people to love reading the bible.
I expect people to keep their word.
I expect people to stop the violence.
I expect people to forgive.
I expect people to count their blessings.
I expect people to believe that God can.
I expect people to stop being selfish.
I expect Christians to stay married.
I expect people to surrender to His will.
I expect people to let go and let God.
I expect people to accept death.
I expect people to put their hope in Jesus.
I expect people to overcome the devil.
I expect people to repent of their sins.
I expect people to deny their flesh.
I expect love to heal everything.

#And that's just to name a few.  Again, no judgment please.

As a seven year old Christian, I still have much to learn about myself, about others and about God. The main thing being that this life is not about Me and what I expect.  I'm still learning humility!!!  If I put My HOPE in The Creator, the One whom everything belongs, then I can relax and rest in who is really in control.  Surely not I. Lol

He will reveal to me what it is He wants me to know and do.  Having my expectations met is not my heart's desire.  However, knowing and growing in Christ's wisdom and knowledge is in deed what I want most.  Thank you Lord for revealing yourself to those who love and seek You.

1 Corinthians 1:21 "For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe." (NIV)

The Holy Spirit is still revealing His self to me, #But one thing that I am trying to master is this:  Not everyone has faith, but God is faithful.  Beth Moore spoke that profound truth in our last bible study of 1 and 2 Thessalonians. 

I hold tight to the fact that in the end, JESUS will return for me.  Revelation 1:7 "Look, he is coming with the clouds," and "every eye will see him, even those who pierced him"; and all peoples on earth "will mourn because of him." So shall it be! Amen. (NIV)

Because of my weak flesh, I may still hold a lot of unmet expectations deep within.  When I order a cup of coffee, I may not get it as hot as I'd like it and when I retire from law enforcement, I may not get the dream job I'm hoping for, but I am not letting go of the #PROMISES of God!

The entire Bible is for His Glory and our Salvation!! Isaiah 55:11 "...so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." (NIV)

He will finish what He started in me!! Praise the Lord that I'm still a work in #progress!
Philippians 1:6 "And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." (NLT)

He will bring His wrath and judgment on those who refuse to #believe! Colossians 3:5-6 "Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry. For it is because of these things that the wrath of God will come upon the sons of disobedience,..." (NIV)

Thank You Father for waiting on me!

Yet, another day to praise Him...